Saturday, November 27, 2010

He Must Increase, I Must Decrease


I have been crucified in Christ, so it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.”

Since this summer, this has been a verse that has consistently been following me. Referenced in several books I'm reading, and several talks I've listened to. So I have been compelled to take it to prayer. What does it really mean to be crucified in Christ? To have Christ live in me? I don't have any deep revelations at this time, but a few follow-up questions that I reflect on are:

  1. Do I truly desire the Lord's will in my life?
  2. Am I honestly seeking it out? Or am I trying to justify my desires as God's will?
  3. Do I trust that he desires what is best for me and what will make me happiest?
  4. What are the things that are keeping me from letting Christ have complete control of my life?

Because this is the world-wide-web, I am going to refrain from posting the intimate details of my prayer life for any Joe-Schmo to read. (I would love to have a deeper conversation about this over a beer with a friend, tho.) But I think these are questions that we can all reflect on. St. Augustine says “our hearts are restless until they rest in thee,” and it is in allowing Christ to live in us that we will finally find this rest and inner peace.

He must increase and I must decrease.” St. John the Baptist.

2 comments: